Student Staff Selection 2018-2019
The Office of Residential Education runs a Resident Assistant recruitment process for the 2018-2019 academic year. Information regarding the application process and timeline for the positions is available below.
Please be advised that the recruitment and selection process for Community Leaders in Residential Education is separate from the Resident Assistant recruitment process.
Please note that applications are made available to those that attend an information session.
New Resident Assistant Applicant Process
Friday, January 20th, 2017 at 11:59PM– Online application due
Saturday, January 27th, 2018 – Group and individual interview day
Friday, February 9th, 2018 – Decision letters sent
Resident Assistants and Residential Community Leaders are student leaders that contribute to the success and well-being of students living on campus at Wagner. Student staff facilitates the development of an inclusive community on the floor and within the building they live through planning and implementing programs that uphold the Department’s mission and goals. Student Staff establishes relationships with all the residents of the floor and demonstrates availability and approachability to residents. Resident Assistants and Residential Community Leaders serve as role models and representatives of Wagner College both on and off campus.
In addition to the specific job responsibilities listed below, both RAs and CLs are expected to possess a positive attitude which embraces the mission, policies, and procedures of Residential Education. Staff members are also expected to exercise good use of personal judgment to protect their credibility which is critical to their ability to perform this job.
In order to apply for a Resident Assistant position, prospective candidates must attend one of the following information sessions. At these information sessions, the application process will be reviewed!
Wednesday, Oct 4th, 2017 – 9PM – 10PM in Spiro 4
Tuesday, Oct 10th, 2017 – 9PM – 10PM in Manzulli
Monday, Oct 23rd, 2017 – 8PM-9PM in Manzulli
Thursday, Nov 16th, 2017 – 9PM-10PM in Manzulli
Wednesday, Nov 29th, 2017 – 9PM-10PM in Sprio 2
Tuesday, Jan 16th, 2018 – TBD
- Facilitate the development of an inclusive community on floor assigned.
- Plan and implement programs that uphold the Department’s mission and goals.
- Establishes relationships with all residents of the floor and demonstrates availability and approachability to residents.
- Respond to emergency and crisis situations.
- Serve on an on-call duty rotation.
- Participates in weekly staff meetings (Mondays at 9pm), Summer Training (typically 2 weeks prior to start of Fall Semester), Winter Training (typically half week prior to the start of Spring Semester), and other departmental functions.
- Serve as a role model and representative of Wagner College both on and off campus.
- Please feel free to review the job description from the 2015-2016 academic year: RA Job Description 2015-2016
- Full-time student status
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.5
- Good judicial standing with the College
- Appreciation of the mission of the department
- All rising Sophomore, Junior and Senior undergraduate students are encouraged to apply.
- An RA room
- A basic meal plan
- The compensation for the position equates to approximately $13,000. Thus, this benefit may impact financial aid packages.
- If you have any concerns about changes in your financial aid package due to the RA position, please see a counselor in the Office of Financial Aid.
Some tips if you are thinking about applying
- Ask an RA.
- Visit the Center for Academic and Career Engagement for interview practice and tips.
- Visit the Writing Center for help with your application.
- Make an appointment to speak with a member of the selection committee by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit our Central Office in Towers Hall, Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30pm.